The Inland Empire does Clean Air Day!
In the Inland Empire, tree cover is hard to come by. Less than 10% of the Inland Empire is covered by tree canopy, and the region has fewer trees per person than any other area of California. And we know that trees are critically important for air quality, preventing more than a million respiratory symptoms and hundreds of thousands of school absences in the U.S. every year.
The good news is that there’s an easy fix: planting trees. That’s why the region is zeroing in on improving tree canopy as an area of importance for California Clean Air Day 2019. Join us at any number of the tree planting events on or around October 2nd, or take a look at some of the other ways you can join in on clearing the air in the Inland Empire.
Below is a sampling of the many organizations hosting events.
Creative Bus Sales invites you to come take an up close look at cutting edge ultra-low and zero emission transportation technologies, proudly showcasing alternative fuel vehicles powered by: electric, hybrid electric, natural gas, and propane.
The Redlands Unified School District and the STEM for All Foundation, a student-run nonprofit organization, will organize the Environmental Health Literacy (EHL) event at Redlands High School to create awareness about the Clean Air Day and the harmful effects of air pollution on children.
Dignity Health St. Bernardine Medical Center has pledged to participate in the 2019 CA Clean Air Day and will educate hospital employees and visitors about clean air day and how everyone can all help do their part.
To celebrate Clean Air Day, UCR College of Engineering-Center for Environmental Research & Technology (CE-CERT) is opening up its laboratories for the public to come see and learn about sustainable technologies they are developing to help improve the region.
Vermont Parents in Action/Safe Routes Partnership in partnership with District 47’s Assemblymember Eloise Gomez Reyes, and the County of San Bernardino Public Health will be walking to Vermont Elementary School to celebrate both International Walk to School Day and Clean Air Day.
The City of Menifee invites you to join the John Denver Park Ribbon Cutting Ceremony on Wednesday October 2nd at 3:00pm to plant a tree for California Clean Air Day!
Western Riverside Council of Governments hosts the first annual Southern California AltCar Expo hosted in the Inland Empire, consisting of a conference, exposition hall, and Ride & Drive, as well as exhibitors and education on urban planning, mass transit, energy generation & use, sustainable lifestyle choices, reducing your carbon footprint, electric vehicle infrastructure, alternative fuel technology implementation and more.
For more details and additional events, check our event page.
Inland Empire Regional Working Group
- Casey Dailey, Western Riverside Council of Governments, CO-CHAIR
- Deepika Srivastava, RUSD STEM Coordinator, CO-CHAIR
- Angelica Baltazar, Lewis-San Antonio Healthy Communities Institute
- Dulce Becerra, Dignity Health
- Nicole Cleary, University of California, Riverside
- Mark Cloud, Southern California Edison and Rancho Cucamonga Chamber
- Brian Cunanan, Riverside Transportation Commission
- Marla Dye, Riverside Transportation Commission
- Marline Folifer, Rancho Cucamonga Chamber
- Dr. Margaret Hill, San Bernardino City Unified School District
- Ronald Loveridge, UC Riverside
- Kelly Lynn, San Bernardino County Transportation Authority
- Michelle McCamish, Riverside Transportation Commission
- Dan Murphy, Dignity Health
- Luis Ortiz, San Bernardino County Transportation Authority
- Daniel Peeden, San Bernardino Assemblymember
- Brendan Schenk, Green Alternative Systems
- Kristine Scott, SoCalGas
- Nicole Soto, San Bernardino County Transportation Authority
- Suzzane Sproul, Hope Through Housing Foundation