The San Diego region is well-known for its beautiful beaches and great weather, but what most don’t realize is that the region’s air pollution has been getting worse over the past few years, mainly as a result of increasing emissions from the transportation sector. San Diegans travel more vehicle miles annually per commuter than the state average and other major urban counties. More hours spent in traffic means more air pollutants and greenhouse gases being emitted from those vehicles. Additionally, according to the American Lung Association’s 2019 “State of the Air” report, the San Diego region is the 6th area in the nation with the most ozone pollution.
On October 2, San Diegans can come together as a community to take action to clean up our air and reduce pollution from cars: more San Diegans driving electric vehicles (EV) and more San Diegans taking public transit (especially zero and near-zero emissions transit!). California Clean Air Day is the perfect opportunity take public transit for the first time or to learn about EVs and maybe even go for a test drive!
Here are some of the events taking place:
- San Diego County Office of Supervisor Nathan Fletcher’s office invites you for free electric vehicle test drives and an opportunity ask questions to attending EV experts.
- North County Transit and Metropolitan Transit Systemare making rides on NCTD’s BREEZE buses, FLEX buses, COASTER trains, and SPRINTER trains FREE on October 2nd!
- The San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) is hosting Rideshare Week from September 30–October 4.
- Charge Expo Symposium features 100 expert speakers talking about e-mobility, government incentives, ZEV, EVs, busses and trucks.
- BikeSD is providing a Family Bike Ride and Cargo Bike Demonstration, educating the community about everyday bicycle riding with young children and give away FREE helmets.
- San Diego Urban Sustainability Coalition will host a bike rodeo, community bike rides, free food and an environmental justice workshop.
San Diego Regional Working Group
- Fabiola Lao, Center for Sustainable Energy, CHAIR
- Morgan Justice Black, San Diego Gas & Electric
- Shannon Bresnahan, Cleantech San Diego
- Brian Elliott, Office of Councilmember Chris Ward
- Valerie Fanning, UC San Diego
- Jay Faught, San Diego Association of Governments
- Jordan Latchford, San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Dawn Noble, San Diego County Air Pollution Control District
- Kimberly Wall, North County Transit District
- Emily Wier, Office of Supervisor Nathan Fletcher
California Clean Air Day in the San Diego area is made possible in part thanks to the support of the San Diego Gas & Electric and these generous sponsors.